syscal handler query

The syscall handler code does an STI at the very begining in handle_sys. Can
someone explain why that is needed. I am trying to debug a problem in my
mips kernel with compressed ramdisks and I was using something like

cli();
gunzip();
sti();

in the compressed ramdisk code and I could still see the timer interrupts
being raised while gunzip was uncompressing. I suspected the STI in the
syscall handler code. Removing the STI fixes the problem. The
RESTORE_SP_AND_RET will reset the interrupts so I do not see why the STI is
needed, but I am wary of any potential disastrous side effects of removing
the STI.

The code is as follows - from arch/mips/kernel/scall_o32.S

NESTED(handle_sys,PT_SIZE,sp)
	.set 	noat
	SAVE_SOME
	STI