static variables access and gp

Hi,
I am implementing a kernel mechanism which is
very performance oriented. Along my long critical
path,
there is a static variable that needs to be accessed
quite a few times. This variable is a structure which
is approximately 60 bytes big.
In there any way I can "convince" my kernel (compiled
with gcc) to access this variable using gp ?
Is gp usually used for this purpose in mips-linux ?
Can it be ?

A while ago I saw a small discussion here about usage
of gp for static variables, but it didn't provide
any definite answers.
TIA