manipulating e_machine value in the elf Header

Hi,

I'm trying to port linux kernel to a mips board with a R4700 processor. It
has a rom monitor program which can be used to load the image. (has support
for tftp boot, xmodem....) . This bootloader has a hardcoded cpu_type which
is cross checked with the e_machine value in the elf header. When I try to
load the linux kernel this check (cpu_type == e_machine) fails & hence the
boot loader aborts the loading of image.

I tried to change the e_machine type value by changing the EM_MIPS value in
include/linux/elf.h, still e_machine type is "8" in the image even after
completely rebuilding the image. I even changed the EM_MIPS value in
/usr/include/elf.h & couple of other locations (sde headers.....) still no
luck....though hand editing the elf header is an option.. I don't want to do
that !

If any of you have any idea/suggestions I would be a happy man !

Thanks in advance,
Indu