Re: unaligned load in branch delay slot

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:39:03PM -0500, Brad Parker wrote:

> I had a problem in tcp_rcv_established() where this "if" would trigger
> even though "th->syn" was zero:

> 	if (th->syn && !before(TCP_SKB_CB(skb)->seq, tp->rcv_nxt)) {
>
> It turned out the tcp header was 'misaligned' after coming across a
> usb link.  I never figured out why it was failing, but it was clearly
> the emulation code which was doing the wrong thing.  This was on an
> alchemy au1000 (MIPS32).

A few days ago I fixed a special case in cvs where the unaligned handler
was misshandling the special case where

	bxx	$r1, dest
	load	$r1, offset($r2)

both instruction are using the same register $r1 and the effective address
offset + $r2 was missaligned.  In that case the emulation code was
executing the load instruction first then using the loaded value to deciede
if the branch was taken.

I know the bug was hitting in the netfilter code but chances are there are
other places in the network code affected as well.

  Ralf