Re: A question on Linux SMP and cache coherency

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:17:25PM -0800, Adam Kiepul wrote:

> I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me whether
> Hardware-maintained cache coherency between processors is required for
> Linux SMP operation.

(Sending just one copy of a posting is sufficient ...)

There have been imho fairly ridiculous attempts at constructing dual-core
SMPs for the use with Linux/MIPS by changing the kernel to 16kB page
size [1] and using write through-caches plus some extra hacks.  Needless
to say the solution is about as stupid as something can be and is probably
going to perform worse than a uniprocessor ...

  Ralf

[1] good idea for other reasons but completly stupid in this context