linux-mips fbdev

Hi list !

I've got an Indy running linux-mips and I wonder if fbdev exists/is possible on this platform.
If I remember well, direct framebuffer mmaping like on intel platforms for example is not possible because Video Ram is hidden behind SGI custom video chips, and video accesses are done by some magic incantations..

But the fact is that I can run linux on my box, a gfx penguin logo appears at boot, and I can enjoy a huge beautifull mc on the console, so I guess some "kind" of framebuffer is there, but not the full-blown Geert's-et-al stuff.

So my question is : would it be feasible/easy to implement some kind of "stubs" to, at least, simulate a straight framebuffer, with full /dev/fb0 stuff, so I could port my fbdev userspace stuff to my Indy ???

Sorry if the answer is obvious..

Thanks so much to all of you linux-mips-gurus for what has been done !!

Nicolas Sauzede.

ps : in case the answer is : No; would it be hard for newbies like me to enable userspace apps to access video screen (just like with fbdev, but without it), ie : be able to do some bitblt() or such ? I've tried to copy/paste some kernel fragments that "seems" to do the voodoo-like video accesses, just to set some pixels on screen, but all I could obtain was : entire screen corrupted or even crash (no BSOD here though <whew> ;)