problem with big endian binutils..?

Have anybody confirmed stability of binutils for big endian
mips?
while little endian gives me no problem
but i am simply unable to make a working big endian ramdisk.

specific problem is in identifying the e_type and e_machine fields
in elf header of executables.
expected value of e_type is 0x2(ET_EXEC) amd e_machine is
0x8(EM_MIPS)
but those are read as 0x200 and 0x800 respectivly ..this is
obviously the endianness problem.

I have tried big endian ramdisk from
ftp://ftp.ltc.com/pub/linux/mips/ramdisk/ramdisk
and also tried compiling one using uclibc package , both
failed because of same reason.

when i run file command on those executables after mounting the
ramdisk on my host i get o/p like

ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS R3000_BE - invalid byte order,
version 1, statically linked, stripped

though i see lot of mails regarding "invalid byteorder" but I
didn't find specific suggestions.

if somebody has experienced similar problems , pls. give me
guidance.

Best Regards,
Atul

Give your Company an email address like