Re: Prefetches in memcpy

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 05:13:48PM +0100, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> >  - Avoid prefetching beyond the end of the copy area in memcpy and memmove.
> >  - Introduce a second variant of memcpy that never does prefetching.  This
> >    one will be safe to use in KSEG1 / uncached XKPHYS also and will be used
> >    for memcpy_fromio, memcpy_toio and friends.
>
> Assuming we had a version that prefetched exactly to the end
> of the source memory block and no further, why would we need
> the second variant?

Because the source of memcpy_fromio and the destination of memcpy_toio are
some I/O address, typically something like a shared memory region on a
network card, which is accessed uncached.  The uncached address region
might be mapped in KSEG2/KSEG3 or accessed through an uncached region of
XKPHYS or KSEG1 where as I recall your statment the effect of prefetch
instructions is undefined.

  Ralf