Indigo 2 PROM question

When I first got my Indigo2, it booted to the monitor
and keyboard and gave me access to the PROM.  I have
since installed Debian over a serial console and I can
no longer get it to use the monitor at all at boot
time (I'm thinking about trying to get the GU1-Extreme
to work).  Over the serial console, I've tried setting
the ConsoleOut=monitor(0), but that doesn't seem to do
the trick.  Is there a PROM guide written up somewhere
(the manuals from SGI are lacking in that feature)?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew H. Ray