Re: [RFC] FPU context switch

Jun Sun wrote:

> I am rewriting the FPU management code with the following
> objectives in my mind:
>
> 1) to make it work for SMP.  Right now, processes can migrate
> to different CPUs leaving their FPU context on another CPU.
> And the global variable last_task_used_math is shared by
> multiple CPUs. :-)
>
> 2) to provide a layer to generic kernel code that hides
> the differences between fpu emul case and hard FPU case,
> so that we don't see many "if (mips_cpu.options & MIPS_CPU_FPU)"
> around.
>
> 3) to simplify some existing code (such as those in signal.c)
> so that we don't see many "if (last_task_used_math == ...)" around.
>
> I am now facing a couple of choices in the implementation and
> like to hear back from you.  Those choices mainly differ at when we
> should save fpu context and when we should restore it.
>
> 1) always blindly save and restore during context switch (switch_to())
>
> Not interesting.  Just list it here for completeness.
>
> 2) save PFU context when process is switched off *only if*
>    FPU is used in the last run.
>    restore FPU context on next use of FPU.
>
> Need to use an additional flag to remember whether it is used
> in the current run.  Perhaps overridding used_math?  In that
> case, used_math == 2 indicates it used in the current run.
> used_math is set back to 1 when process is switched off.

Let's go for solution 2.
Try to look in 64-bit kernel (when CONFIG_SMP is enabled), here solution
2 is already implemented (the plan is to implement this in the 32-bit
kernel as well, but please go a head and do it).
The extra flag you are looking for, is the PF_USEDFPU flag, which also is
used by other architecture.

Locally we have got rid of the '#ifdef CONFIG_SMP', and always do it the
SMP way.
The "last_task_used_math / lazy fpu switch" method has just cost to much
pain.

--
_    _ ____  ___   Carsten Langgaard   Mailto:carstenl@mips.com
|\  /|||___)(___   MIPS Denmark        Direct: +45 4486 5527
| \/ |||    ____)  Lautrupvang 4B      Switch: +45 4486 5555
  TECHNOLOGIES     2750 Ballerup       Fax...: +45 4486 5556
                   Denmark             http://www.mips.com