RE: bug with 512MB of RAM?

So, I went digging into this....

It seems that the RM7k cache routines for DMA managment don't like it
if the addr+size runs up to the end of kseg0 (addr 0xa0000000).  A
quick if() to test the 'end' variable in c-rm7k.c and make sure we
never call {flush|invalidate}_{s|d}cache_line() with an address in
kseg1 makes boards with 512MByte of memory work.

Of course, this has me wondering how CONFIG_HIGHMEM works... from a
quick scan of mm/init.c, it looks like DMA-able memory is only
allocated out of kseg0... but I'm not a memory-management expert.
Actually, I'm something of a rookie here... I'm trying to wrap my
brain around the concept of 'zones', and it looks like everything
should 'just work'....

But I'm wondering if:
(a) Someone will confirm my analysis that DMA-able memory is allocated
with kseg0 addresses, thus no 'highmem' will be used
(b) Someone has a primer on the memory-managment system?

If I'm right, I'll be submitting a patch to fix c-rm7k.c for 2.4 and
2.5

Matt

--
Matthew D. Dharm                            Senior Software Designer
Momentum Computer Inc.                      1815 Aston Ave.  Suite 107