cannot debug multi-threaded programs with gdb

Hi,

I've been trying to debug a simple multi-threaded test program using
gdb, and it always fails as follows:

[New Thread 1024 (LWP
39)]

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint
trap.
[Switching to Thread 1024 (LWP
39)]
warning: Warning: GDB can't find the start of the function at
0xffffffff.

I've tried various different compilers, gdb, glibc version but the
problem is the same.  Note that I can debug non-threaded c/c++ programs
without any problem.  My environment is as follows:

CPU:		NEC VR5432
kernel: 	linux-2.4.10 + patches
glibc:		2.2.3 + patches
gdb:		5.2/3 from CVS
gcc:		3.1 (also tried 3.0.1)
binutils:	Version 2.11.90.0.25

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and how to fix it.

Regards, Stuart