Re: 64-bit and N32 kernel interfaces

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> My opinion is that N32 is good enough for people who are short on
> space.  We have too many MIPS ABIs already!

 You meant "there are", I suppose, as we (i.e. Linux) only really have a
single one right now -- o32.  And my opinion is we should carefully choose
additional ABIs for the 64-bit port based on technical superiority and
flexibility and do not blindly follow what others do.  To achieve this, we
do not even need to fiddle with the toolchain -- ELF file formats are
sufficient, binutils don't care and gcc may be set up as needed in a
configuration header.  All that matters is the kernel and libc.

 That said, I do not assert my address/data model propsal is optimal --
this is subject to a discussion, but please keep non-technical arguments
away.