Re: mips32_flush_cache routine corrupts CP0_STATUS with gcc-2.96

"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:
>  Well, it looks possible for a CPU with cache lines wider than 32-bits
> (are there any such R3k-class CPUs?), indeed.

Yes, IDT R3081 has 16-byte I-cacheline. It also may have 16-byte
D-cacheline, it depends on DB Refill set, may be set by wiring and in
software too. DB Refill is here to support burst reads modern DRAMs
have.

> > Unfortunately, the behaviour depends on whether miss occurs, what
> > instructions are loaded, how they are aligned, and so on. It means, if
> > you get crash on this kernel version, you won't get a crash on another.
> > If you add debug routines, everything is OK. Other black magic tricks
> > are also here. (As you may guess, I explain my real experience here.
> > :-). Analyzer doesn't help, bus transactions look good.)
>
>  How true -- I've seen such nastinesses, too. :-/  Except that I don't
> have an analyzer.

Don't care, it doesn't help in such situations.

> > In order to avoid this, CPU shall either perform the check again or
> > freeze everything on the cache swap operation. The latter doesn't look
> > real. Anyway, it's a lot of additional unnatural logic. So, the
> > requirement to run swapping operation uncached looks reasonable.
>
>  Well, the simplest effective approach would be a third alternative, i.e.
> to make swapping happen only when no fill is in progress.  Trivial logic
> with a single D latch on the swap signal should suffice -- I don't think
> the save on omitting it is worth breaking architecture specs and
> performance.

In two words, it's unclear when there are no fills. Too much situations,
additional stall condition (which may break spec anyway). I can't
present full explanation, sorry. You have to believe. :-)

BTW, I reread my R3081 HW Manual and found two intresting places about
cache operation:

"These mechanisms [cache sizing, cache flushing] are enabled through the
use of the “IsC” (Isolate Cache) and SwC (Swap Cache) bits of the status
register, which resides in the on-chip System Control Co-Processor
(CP0). Instructions which immediately precede and succeed these
operations must not be cacheable, so that the actual swapping/isolation
of the cache does not disrupt operation."

Note precede instructions.
Then, on cache sizeing:

"Cache Sizing

[Famous algorithm that we implement]

Note that this software should operate as uncached. Once this algorithm
is done, software should return the caches to their normal state by
performing either a complete cache flush or an invalidate of those cache
lines modified by the sizing algorithm."

Regards,
Gleb.