RE: mips32_flush_cache routine corrupts CP0_STATUS with gcc-2.96

Hello everybody,

I've been following this thread with much attention and interest,
and I would like to give my small contribution, even though my expertise
is far lower than yours.

Our TX49 (R4000 based) manual also states that "if the CACHE instruction
is issued for the line in which this instruction exists the operation
is not guaranted". As you can see from the arch/mips/mm/r4xx0.c file,
TX49 routines always disable caches before operating.

Recently, one of our customer, raised the question since he was comparing
performance between TX49 and another comparable MIPS architecture.
He noticed a huge difference in favor of the other vendor.
For information it was a multimedia application. Investigations
showed that the other vendor was running cache flushing operations cached.
He tried to also run TX49 cached and, miracle, TX49 performed much better
than the other chip. And the application could run for hours without
crashing.

I have contacted our designers, and the answer I got so far is that a problem can
occur depending on the alignement of the CACHE instructions and on the set
in which they are located (TX49 cache is 4 way set). This confirms Jon's
investigation. Carsten, can you comment this, as a MIPS insider ? Which
CPUs are concerned ?

Further investigation are now ongoing to find a proper workaround and thus suggestions
are highly apreciated.

>From my side I have a very simple question:

If you run instruction cache flushing cached, then the cache will be dirty
when the routine returns. At least the line(s) containing the routine itself ?
Or am I missing something ?

Best Regards,

Mohamed SEDJAI
TOSHIBA Electronics Europe

PS: Sorry Dominic for a possible misusage of the terminology. BTW I found your book
wonderfully well written and consider it as a reference to anyone who wants
to write a technical book.