Re: Need contact info for Origin 200

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 12:52:52PM -0400, Marco C. Mason wrote:

> The only difficulty is that these things are LOUD!  I'd like to find out
> if there are any temperature monitors inside the thing, and if I can run
> the fans at a reduced speed, or remove some of the fans to make them
> reasonable in a home environment.  They don't do a lot (as I just do
> some CPU-intensive stuff on them every once in a while, and very little
> disk-I/O).

Via the system controller you can set the fan speed.  Only the fan speeds
n like normal and h like high are supported.  If the machine feels like
it is hot or one of the fans has failed it'll automatically switch the
fan speed to h.  If more than one fan fails it'll power off ...

> Thus, I'd like to find a contact for simple (but technical) hardware
> questions like these on the Origin 200.  If you guys could send me a
> friendly contact or two, I'd be very grateful.

Well, try this list.

> (I'm also interested in making the thing dual-boot Irix & Linux, if the
> Linux port is close to operating...  I've also got a pair of Indys that
> I'm planning on sacrificing to the Linux gods...)

The Indy port is in reasonable shape; the O200 port has decayed a bit
over the past months but as far as time permits I'm working on getting
it to run again.

  Ralf