Re: DBE/IBE handling incompatibility

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Ladislav Michl wrote:

> i'd like to release GIO64 bus support. Before doing so DBE/IBE handling
> should be done in the same fashion for both mips and mips64 (*). Currently
> mips is using handler in handler via dbe_board_handler and ibe_board_handler
> which are not used anywhere while mips64 is using BUILD_HANDLER macro defined
> in include/asm-mips64/exception.h (see arch/mips64/sgi-ip27/ip27-dbe-glue.S)
> Unfortunately I have nearly zero knowledge of MIPS assembler, so I'm
> unable to code mips way same as mips64 is... Help from someone more
> experienced will be greatly appreciated :-)

 I'm going to work on unifying and extending the code a bit once I have my
64-bit world running, so don't worry about the divergence between the
ports.

 Don't rely in dbe_board_handler and ibe_board_handler -- they are
system-specific backends that shouldn't be touched unless you want to
handle the exceptions in a system-specific way (e.g. to report ECC errors
from a memory controller).  Also expect the handlers to get rewritten so
that search_dbe_table() gets invoked unconditionally, before a
system-specific backend.

> (*) How GIO device detection works? each IP22 machine contains three GIO bus
> slots. GIO device provides information about itself in first (three) word(s)
> of address space it occupies. The only way how to detect GIO card is
> trying to read word from it's base address. If DBE exception is generated
> then there is definitely no card present, otherwise read value encodes
> information about device.

 Use get_dbe() from <asm/paccess.h> for reading data with an additional
DBE status.  For a simple example see drivers/mtd/devices/ms02-nv.c.  The
macro is used in a somewhat more complex way in drivers/tc/tc.c as well --
this bit of code fits your situation quite closely (here probing
TURBOchannel bus slots).  The macro works in modules as well.