Re: Linux and the Sony Playstation

> > You didn't disassemble the code.  The Sony gcc distribution
> > is hard-wired to generate soft-float code, even if you
> > specify -mhard-float on the command line.
>
> I did disassemble the code. It generates true FPU code for floats, and
> soft-float for double. See the example below:

I tested both double and single variants last night,
and I *thought* that I had seen soft-float code
generated for both cases.  By the light of day,
I can see that that the single case disassembly
does indeed use the FPU - I must have gotten
the disassembly files confused last night.  In any
case, as I said, even if you specify "hard-float",
you'll get soft doubles from the Sony gcc.

While various users have complained about
both the speed and the accuracy of the Sony
soft float implementation, it does pass paranoia
with flying colors.

            Kevin K.