Re: Mangled struct hd_driveid with MIPSEB.

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Carsten Langgaard wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 May 2002, Carsten Langgaard wrote:
> > > I send Ralf a fix a couple of weeks ago, which introduced the byteswapping,
> > > which really is necessary.
> > > This fix is probably only necessary for bigendian systems with large IDE
> > > disks (>8GB), which support LBA mode.
> > > I send this patch over a year ago. I discovered that when I ran on a disk,
> > > which was larger than 8GB, it was only treated as 8GB.
> > > The problem with the fix is, it is not backward compatible. After the fix
> > > I needed to reinstall my bigendian system.
> > > As I told Ralf, this fix will be a pain for everyone, but I guess we need
> > > the fix eventually.
> >
> > Why would you have to reinstall the system?
> > Isn't this just a problem with ide_fix_driveid() (new field for disks larger
> > than 8 GiB, which we don't byteswap yet)?
>
> I'm trying to do things like other bigendian architectures. I can see your mail
> address is linux-m68k and the fix is more or less stolen from the m68k part.

However, I'm not sure anyone ever used a +8 GiB disk on Linux/m68k.

IIRC, LBA uses an extra field in the drive info struct, which was initially not
byteswapped. You can compare the MIPS/m68k ide_fix_driveid() with the version
on PPC, which most probably works correctly with +8 GiB disks.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds