Re: asm type names

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 05:21:12PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> include/asm-mips*/unaligned.h uses different terminology for the same sizes,
> sometimes even in the same file, making things a bit confusing:
>   - double vs. quad
>   - word vs. long
>   - halfword vs. word
>
> Which set of terms is preferred, so we can increase consistency?

The MIPS terminology is:

  - 2 bytes - halfword
  - 4 bytes - word
  - 8 bytes - doubleword
  - 16 bytes - quadword

Unfortunately part of the industry have a different idea of what the size
of a word should be, so for example on i386 the use of the terms is:

 - 2 bytes word
 - 4 bytes doubleword
 - 8 bytes quadword

At times it's hard to avoid confusion; in general I therefore prefer to
avoid these terms or their abreviations but there are places like the
old assembler implementation of inw() where both are used next to each
other ...

  Ralf