Re: Equivalent of ioperm / iopl in linux mips ?

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > Does anyone know how to implement ioperm / iopl type
> > functionality on a mips system. Any example code would
> > be appreciated.
>
> Like on most architectures that use memory mapped I/O: mmap() the relevant
> portion of /dev/mem and read/write to/from the mapped area.

 Hmm, I admit I haven't looked at this matter, but aren't
in/out/ioperm/iopl implemented as library functions in glibc like for
other architectures doing MMIO?  E.g. Alpha does this an it makes porting
programs like XFree86 and SVGATextMode much more straightforward and less
processor-specific.  That makes sense as they are not processor specific
but rather bus-specific.  If we don't do that, we should.  For platforms
without an (E)ISA or a PCI bus ioperm/iopl would simply return an error.