Re: Can modules be stripped?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
To: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad@ltc.com>
Cc: "MIPS/Linux List (SGI)" <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2002 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: Can modules be stripped?

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:
>
> > OK, you can't strip kernel modules (news to me, then again how often do
> > use modules?), but it can't be because they "are relocatables".  I
routinely
> > strip libraries without problem, and those are relocatables too.
>
>  What kind of libraries?  Shared libraries are shared objects and not
> relocatables.

Oh, oops. :-P  Now I see what you mean.  I confused shared object
w/relocatable.  My bad.

Did I know that kernel modules were "object files" i.e. relocatables.  Yes.
But I've always referred to them as object files (.o), not relocatables,
hence the confusion.

Which brings up an interesting question - why doesn't the kernel use .so
files for modules?

Regards,
Brad