RE: Questions?

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Siders, Keith wrote:

> You can get that down to 5 instructions. You could either use a typecast, or
> for portability, use a union definition. For that matter you could even
> typecast *mptr as a pointer to the union and extract the data from the
> string however you choose. But it still takes 5 instructions, unless you're
> pulling the data into another buffer, in which case you're down to 4.

Which 5 instructions are those?  For htonl from memory, the only sequence
I can think of is the "obvious" one of lbu/shift (7 instructions).  And
for swapping BE-LE in memory (an important thing for me), I do not see any
method better than the "obvious" one I mentioned earlier:

    90c50000        lbu     a1,0(a2)
    90c40001        lbu     a0,1(a2)
    90c30002        lbu     v1,2(a2)
    90c20003        lbu     v0,3(a2)