Re: [patch] linux 2.4.17: The second mb() rework (final)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Atsushi Nemoto wrote:

> As I wrote in another mail, TX39's uncached load does NOT return data
> from a write buffer.  Uncached load/store always appears on I/O bus in
> same order.

 Well, the specification suggests that a load doesn't stall until all data
from the buffer are written back.  Therefore a load will appear on the
host bus before pending writes.  It implies mb() has to stall on the
"buffer not empty" condition.

> The problem of TX39's write buffer is that cached load/store operation
> can overtake preceding uncached store operation (even if "SYNC" was
> exist between these operations).

 It's implied by the above.