Re: gcc include strangeness

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> The glibc-2.2.5/FAQ says:
>   1.20.   Which tools should I use for MIPS?
>
>   {AJ} You should use the current development version of gcc 3.0 or newer from
>   CVS.  gcc 2.95.x does not work correctly on mips-linux.

 Is gcc 3.x already stable enough to be used by people not directly
involved in gcc development?  More specifically for MIPS/Linux and
i386/Linux, for both the kernel and the userland?  I'm told it is not.

> I'm not shure if this only applies to glibc, but the
> gcc-2.95.x I tried to build could not even compile a kernel
> because of:
>   #ifndef __linux__
>   #error Use a Linux compiler or give up.
>   #endif
> in linux/include/asm-mips/sgidefs.h. The gcc-3.0.3 I now use
> has a totally different set of predefines than gcc-2.95.x, and
> it seems to work.

 Gcc 2.95.x as distributed certainly doesn't work.  With a set of patches
it appears rock solid.  For MIPS/Linux I'm using it for over two years for
both the kernel and the userland.  The last time I found bug and needed to
apply a fix to gcc 2.95.3 for MIPS/Linux was in April 2001.

 With gcc 2.95.3 if I spot a weird behaviour, I'm pretty confident it's a
bug in the kernel or in user code, and not the compiler generating bad
code.

> gcc-3.x does not use va-mips.h or sgidefs,h, but simply
> has the following in stdarg.h:
>   #define va_start(v,l)   __builtin_stdarg_start((v),l)
>   #define va_end          __builtin_va_end
>   #define va_arg          __builtin_va_arg
> etc.

 Thanks for the info.