Re: DECstation keyboard mappings and XFree

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Karsten Merker wrote:

> >  Hmm, why do you need (sh*tty) PC-compatible keycodes for a keaboard that
> > barely resembles a PC keyboard?  AFAIK, XFree86 has appropriate LK201
> > keymaps -- see "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/*/digital/*".
>
> Because the original code does not deliver LK201 keycodes - LK201 keycodes
> are in the range 0x55 - 0xfb, but the kernel to my knowledge accepts only
> keycodes in the range 0x01 - 0x7f, so the original code already did a
> remapping of the LK201 raw codes (it delivered the key numbers from the
> top left to the downmost right keys, i.e. F1=1, F2=2, F3=3 etc.).

 This may be reasonable for the pc_keyb.c driver, but we don't use it, do
we?

> This means that the XFree LK201 mapping did not work, and if we have
> to remap keycodes anyway into the range 0x01-0x7f, using a PC-compatible
> keymap seemed the best solution to me.

 Then the kernel needs to be fixed -- raw scancodes should be passed as is
and the translation should be done in kbd_translate().  I'm adding it to
my to-do list (to be resolved soon, hopefully, together with the annoying
indefinite timeout when no keyboard is attached).