Re: What is the maximum physical RAM for a 32bit MIPS core?

You have to distinguish between physical and virtual memory. The MIPS32
architecture supports implementations with up to 36 bits of physical
address space, however the virtual address space in kernel and user mode
is as you describe below.

One note: Many MIPS32 implementations choose not to implement all 36 PA
bits, but limit themselves to 32 bits. This saves a few bits in the TLB
and a few address lines.

And no to the FP thing: FP registers can only be used to hold FP values.
All addressing is done through integer registers. And any given process
can only see 2GB anyway.

/Hartvig

--
 _    _   _____  ____     Hartvig Ekner        Mailto:hartvige@mips.com