RE: More data: I've made a CVS build that doesn't crash!

(I aplogize for the duplicate... this message has more information
than the other one... Outlook decided that I meant "send" not
"paste"... grr...)

Well, I've figured out my crashing problem, but I'm not certain how to
fix it... I've got a couple of choices, and my first choice doesn't
seem to work too well, tho I'm not sure if that's my fault or another
bug...

Basically, what happens is this:  The SDRAM is in two banks (0,2) in
equal parts.  So, on our 128MByte boards, it's two banks of 64MBytes.
On our 512MByte boards, it's 2 banks of 256MBytes each.

The bridge is programmed to place the first bank at 0x0, and the other
bank at 256MBytes.  add_memory_region() is called earlier in the boot
sequence to set up the first 64MBytes at address 0.  Now we call
add_memory_region() with incorrect parameters.

So, I thought to myself, let's just change the 'start' address of the
add_memory_region() call.  For good luck, I even threw in some calls
with BOOT_MEM_RESERVED, so we now have (printed on bootup):

Determined physical RAM map:
 memory: 04000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
 memory: 0c000000 @ 04000000 (reserved)
 memory: 04000000 @ 10000000 (usable)
 memory: 0c000000 @ 14000000 (reserved)

Which looks okay to me.  The problem is, my ethernet driver has gone
to the dogs.  It works, but it's _really_ slow and the console is
printing out messages like:

eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0c00 at 9710/9738 command
00000c00.
eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0c00 at 9745/9773 command
00000c00.
eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0c00 at 9801/9829 command
00000c00.

I'm guessing that something bad has happened in terms of what part of
memory the ethernet controller allocates for it's descriptors... or
something like that.  The fact that it works at all is puzzling.. I
would have expected a more fatal mode of failure.

So, am I doing something wrong in setting up my memory map?  Is there
something else I need to do when calling add_memory_region()?

Also, how are DMAable addresses handed out?  I'm wondering if the
conversion between CPU address and PCI address is working correctly...
I'm going to try to get a PCI analyizer, but I don't know how long
that will take.

Thanks everyone for all your help... hopefully, I'll have this problem
put to bed soon.

Matthew Dharm

--
Matthew D. Dharm                            Senior Software Designer
Momentum Computer Inc.                      1815 Aston Ave.  Suite 107