Re: IDE driver broken in bigendian 2.4.17 kernel

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Carsten Langgaard wrote:

> Due to changes in the string port macros/functions (insl, outsl, insw,
> ...) the bigendian IDE driver doesn't work anymore.
> I think we need to have local versions of these functions in
> include/asm-mips/ide.h, therefore these functions should be macros
> (#define) and not static functions in include/asm-mips/io.h (in order to
> redefine them).

 I believe the inline functions should be left as they are and the IDE
driver should use own ones that call the formers and perform byteswapping
on results as needed.  You should avoid the name clash.

 Also if that's a chipset-specific issue and not an IDE host adapter's
one, this should be resolved globally as other devices/drivers may be
affected.