Re: MIPS64 status?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:42:22PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > I have such hardware myself. IMHO the best option is the mips64 kernel and
> > I hope to try it someday. But in practice I'd guess that Ralf's highmem
> > patch is more likely to be usuable first (?).
>
> Depends if you can live with the problems of the current mips64 kernel.
> If you can then it's highmem-free memory managment is certainly the way
> to go.  It's also not limited to peanuts numbers of gigabytes but can
> support as much memory as your can tack on a MIPS.

Yep, totally.

I thought about starting with mips64 but it was simpler to go with the
pre-existing processor support in the mips32 kernel. I'd like to patch
mips64 up to support the CPU's I have here, but not this month :>

Could someone quickly comment on how it is running? Can it boot normal 32
bit user space OK? I know with sparc64 there were (are?) a number of
problems with missing 32 bit syscall translations for some obscure
things..

Jason