RE: MIPS64 status?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Matthew Dharm wrote:

> So MIPS64 denotes 64-bit data _and_ address?  Great.  But, what is the
> current state of the toolchain?  I mean, what point is having the code
> if the tools won't compile it properly?

Well, working on the kernel is a good way to get the tools working. That
is how several of the Linux archs have worked in the past.

> I guess what I'm looking for is what I should tell someone who wants
> to run MIPS Linux 64-bit with 8 gigs of RAM.

I have such hardware myself. IMHO the best option is the mips64 kernel and
I hope to try it someday. But in practice I'd guess that Ralf's highmem
patch is more likely to be usuable first (?).

Jason