Re: libtool warning on redhat 7.1 native mipsel compile

H . J . Lu writes:
>> > libtool is very fragile. If it doesn't cause the failure, I won't touch
>> > it.
>> This bug may result in libraries not getting linked against certain other
>> libraries thus DT_NEEDED entries missing.  Frequently that's harmless but
>> it breaks a few packages.  I remember fixing this in a large number of
>> RH 7.0 packages.
>>
>> Bug are rarely harmless just their consequences are subtle.

yeah, the libtool thing is a pain, but realistically it's only been a
problem for me on 2 or 3 out of many rpm builds. Still it'd be way cool
if it was sorted out...

>Ok. Please try
>ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/7.1/SRPMS/libtool-1.3.5-8.3.src.rpm

unfortunately this doesn't work. Same output as the orig 7.1 rpm or a
stock newer libtool :-/

Does the latest kernel export endianess in /proc/cpuinfo?
If so, then the latest rawhide rpm can be trivially modified to add
mips* along with s390* support in the s390 patch and it seems to work
for me. If your kernel doesn't export endianess, then you can specify
it with (eg. for big endian)
  ./configure --host=mips-unknown-linux-gnu ...
and libtool then works ok.

Grab a patched for mips libtool srpm (+ big endian binary rpms (Indy)) from
  http://www.cita.utoronto.ca/~rjh/mips/libtool/
Maybe someone can --rebuild the srpm on mipsel and see if it works too?

cheers,
robin