Re: Designing hardware to join PCI to large local memory

> or less) can handle much larger memories - we would like it to go on
> past 4Gbytes.  So now there aren't enough addresses on PCI to map all
> the memory.

Good PCI devices can support DAC and can access 64bits on a 32bit bus at
a tiny penalty.

> We (more specifically Chris) have looked at the kernel sources, and
> concluded that schemes of both types have been attempted - though the
> sources don't, of course, pass judgement on how well it worked.
>
> Those of you with experience: which would you recommend?  And if (2),
> can you point us to descriptions of good hardware facilities you've
> met or even imagined?

On big X86 setups bounce buffers really do hurt I/O performance. The
real answer is either DAC aware hardware for performance critical stuff
or some kind of mapping hardware, which requires much more complex toys
than a random cheap pci bridge.

Alan