Re: ISA

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > OK, so I can check for < 16 MB in ioremap(), and readb() and friends will
> > handle it fine. You're not supposed to call ioremap() for real RAM anyway, so
> > there's no ambiguity.
> >
> > But what about request_mem_region() and friends? How can I distinguish between
> > ISA memory and the first 16 MB of RAM (or ROM, or whatever my board has there)?
>
>  Well, as I stated in another mail (but in another thread, I think) you
> may try request_mem_region(virt_to_phys(ioremap(...))), especially as you
> really want to reserve an area in the CPU's physical address space and not
> in the bus's one.

So we must update all existing drivers that use ISA memory space anyway.

IMHO still better to add isa_request_mem_region() while we're at it, so we can
solve this in an arch-specific way. Ia32 can still say

    #define isa_request_mem_region	request_mem_region

> > Or am I not supposed to let those things show up in /proc/iomem?
>
>  I think the appearance is not the point here.  The point is to prevent a
> driver from accessing an already occupied area.

Right.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds