Re: No bzImage target for MIPS

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 10:52, Geoffrey Espin wrote:

> > The "original" pmon has outlived its purpose, although it's still found
> > on many boards. I've become a fan of MIPS Tech's yamon; it's small, it
> > works, it has just the features I need in an embedded system, and, did I
> > say it works?.  Unfortunately the code is released under NDA only. If
> > MIPS opened the code, I think you would see it on many more boards.
>
> I rest my case.  Linux is GPL, last I checked.  "LinuxMon", I'll
> dub it, solves the problem... for all architectures. :-)  Attached
> is the trivial 'reload' script for loading linux on top of linux.
> It's just a wrapper for 'dd'.  Oh yeah, your reset.c:xxx_restart()
> needs a quick check to see if a new kernel got loaded, and jump
> to it, instead of PROM.
>
> > > itself, as the "boot monitor" is best approach.  All reusable
> > > code, fastest bootstrap (i.e. no 2nd stage loading), etc... But,
> > > of course, not optimal for size, though my image is 1.3M which
> > > includes a 580K cramfs ramdisk.
> > That's fine once you've ported the kernel to your board. What do you do
> > before that point?
>
> With a ROM Emulator, bringing up Linux is no harder than bringing
> up a boot monitor or any embedded RTOS, no?  A day or three, if
> you are lucky and brilliant.  A somewhat longer if you're not
> lucky.  :-)  Getting serial I/O is always the first nut to crack...
> with Monta Vista's dbg_io.c, this is greatly simplified.  Of
> course, I'm not counting all the extra drivers (Ethernet, ...)
> and assuming a well supported architecture.

True, if you can use a rom emulator on the given board, which you can't
do with all boards.  But then you need to connect the emulator to the
board every time you want to do something ... I don't know, give me a
working boot loader with enet support and I'll take that instead.

> > patch.  But I fail to see how having this code in every <board>
> > directory is better than having a separate boot directory like the ppc
> > arch.  The ppc-like zImage support I added is a bit different from the
>
> I quite agree that initrd stuff is not right, or rather builtin
> ramdisk.o is not good for embedded.  Having it attached to the
> end of vmlinux, possibly padded/aligned to a nice flash sector
> boundary should be the general rule.  Having <board>/Boot.make
> so one can customize the "make boot" target rule to do the right
> thing on a board-by-board basis seems to be the way to go.

Exactly. That's why the <board> directory in arch/mips/zboot :-) BTW, I
added the new zboot directory in sourceforge because arch/mips/boot was
in the way and I didn't want to mess with that one.

Ultimately I don't care if the zImage support is in each <board>
directory or in a new directory like arch/mips/zboot, as long as the
support for zImages and, eventually, initrd, is there.

BTW, if you don't package up your work in a patch that Ralf would take,
the bits get lost over time. I don't know if you care, but that's how
linux evolves so I hope you submit your patches upstream rather than
allowing them to get lost in mailing lists.

Pete