Re: PATCH: Handle Linux/mips (Re: Why is byteorder removed from /proc/cpuinfo?)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Ben Elliston wrote:

> >  Hmm, I don't think config.guess is ever used for cross-compilation as
> > the script's purpose is to guess the host and you need to specify one
> > explicitly for a cross-compilation to happen.  Anyway it's saner not
> > to use build system properties to guess host system ones.
>
> You're close, but not quite correct.  In a cross-compilation environment,
> the job of config.guess is to determine the type of the build system,

 It actually depends on the autoconf version -- historically it was
backwards.  Still, even if config.guess is used to determine the build
system, the script need not care about the host, so there's no problem
with the cross-compilation (apart from purity).

> which may be different to the host and will certainly be different to the
> target.

 Not necessarily, although unlikely, indeed.