Re: [RFC] generic MIPS RTC driver

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 09:54:55PM +0100, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>
> > > Geert, what is the abstraction they used?
> >
> > At first sight, we only use get_rtc_time() and mach_hwclk().
>
> Over the weekend I changed it into set_rtc_time()/get_rtc_time(), which
> are now defined in <asm/rtc.h>, so mach_hwclk() is gone in the generic
> part.
> Another feature is the emulation of the timer interrupt, although I have
> no idea which program is using this.

hwclock and a bunch of less known porgrams like chrony.
Where the interrupt can be generated its a clear win, otherwise
it might be more reasonable to return EINVAL instead of trying
to emulate it - presumably hwclock can use some fallback method.

Btw the interrupt need not to be hardware, for the Q40 I test
a rtc register once per jiffie and generate a "soft interrupt".
It could be done generic at least for m68k.

Bye
Richard