Re: Password recovery on IRIX box

I'm saying this from memory, but here is a procedure that would work if
you have the Irix install CDs.  One of them is bootable.  You boot the
miniroot from the CD and instead of invoking the installation, you opt to
go to a shell prompt.  From there you can manually mount the partitions,
and have some minimal capability to do things like overwrite the password
file, archive a disk to tape, or up a network interface and rcp stuff off
if you don't have any other means.  I've used this before to manipulate
things on a marginally functional system.

Other's here may have better short cuts, but this will do it.

--

J. Scott Kasten
Email: jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"Nearly all men can stand adversity,