Re: MIPS PC - anyone?

H . J . Lu wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 10:23:02AM -0700, Jun Sun wrote:
> >
> > Does anybody know if there is such a "MIPS PC" machine?  Essentially
> > I am looking for a machine with MIPS CPU and PC peripherals (such as
> > SIMM RAM, PCI bus, EIDE HD, VGA graphics, PS/2 mouse/kbd, etc).

I don't know, but I doubt it exists. Main problem would be developing
an appropriate chipset (different processor bus, maybe big endian,
maybe 64bit).

> > It would be really nice to have such a box.  If it is massively produced,
> > the price should be cheaper than i386 PCs because MIPS CPU price is
> > much cheaper.

Nearly every CPU other than x86 would be cheaper in mass production.
Unfortunately, mass production seems not to happen.

> I doubt that. Can you tell me how much 1GHz MIPS CPU might be cost?
> My guess is it will be more expensive than x86.

You might ask e.g. Sibyte about it. :-)

Thiemo