Re: pcmcia (again)

Jim Paris wrote:
>>>Am I misunderstanding something here?  Is there some simple way to get
>>>the PCMCIA driver to use isa_slot_offset when checking and
>>>requesting memory regions?  I tried adding that offset to the
>>>check_mem_resource, request_mem_region, and release_mem_region calls,
>>>and changing all of the readx/writex() calls to isa_readx/isa_writex(),
>>>but things still don't work right.
>>>

> ..
>
> Success!!
>
> The main problem was that I had subtly broken the ioremap function
> while trying to update the linux-vr tree to 2.4.5ish.  Doh!
>
> A second problem is that the pcmcia drivers needed to add
> isa_slot_offset when calling {check,request,release}_mem_region
> -- but the readx/writex calls do _not_ need this offset added.
> (So this must be handled by the ioremap.  I still don't fully
> understand when or where this remapping is done, but I know it's
> happening.)
>
> And it works!
>
> This means that I now have a working 2.4.5 kernel on my Mobilon Tripad
> (aka Vadem Clio) with a functional compact flash and wireless ethernet
> card.  I'm quite happy.  Now I just need to build some binaries.
>
> Pete, thanks for your help; it pointed me in the right direction.

Good to hear that you found the problems.  If your patch to use isa_slot_offset
doesn't get accepted, you might want to try to figure out if there's any way to
limit your changes to your board's specific files. That way you won't have to
carry patches around from one kernel version to another. I think this is now the
second mips board with pcmcia support.

BTW, I have a LE ramdisk which runs linuxrc, loads pcmcia drivers, starts
cardmgr, and exits. The kernel then mounts the real root fs which is /dev/hda1
in my case (pcmcia ata card).  Let me know if you need it.

Pete