Re: FW: indigo2 kernel build failures

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 10:02:10PM -0700, Keith M Wesolowski wrote:

> Nope.  Even if it did the kernel wouldn't care.  Build gcc on a peecee
> sometime and you'll see "i386-unknown-linux-gnu" and it will work as
> well as gcc ever does.  Have some fun with it - maybe
> "mips-fuckmeinthegoatass-linux-gnu" (STR) for your amusement or
> "mips-notintel-linux-gnu" to make a statement.  It won't affect
> anything.  Leave off the -gnu, though, and configure will kindly add
> it back on, reminding you that it is, in fact, GNU/Linux, dammit.

Since the manufacturer part of the name quadruple is a entirely useless
just like the -gnu suffix on Linux I usually strip it off.  That's why
the kernel by default uses mips-linux, mipsel-linux, mips64-linux or
mips64el-linux by default and I'd like others to do the same to avoid
the unnecessary pleasure of editing makefiles that know about crosscompiler
configuration names.

  Ralf