Qube2 gcc 2.7.2 compiler error (fwd)

On the Qube2, gcc 2.7.2, option -s, to generate MIPS assembler
corresponding to the input C code, generates invalid assembler
by virtue of generating duplicate labels. The resultant
assembler will not assemble, of course, due to the duplicate
labels.  The code (linux kernel's printk.c) compiles cleanly
from C to object code.

Q: How do I get valid assembler from gcc on Qube2 ?
(My ultimate goal here is to be able to get listings out
of gas.)

Thanks much
John H

Oops, Sorry -> typo. I meant   gcc -S