Re: Updates on RedHat 7.1/mips

At 17:36 18-7-2001 -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:53:22PM +0200, Seth Mos wrote:
> >
> > I am having trouble getting the mipsel packages installed using the
> > installer provided for 7.1.
> >

> > I have hooked up a second disk to my i386 workstatition that will house
> > the filesystem for my mipsel box. Once everything is installed I will put
> > this disk back in my Qube2 for testing. In the worst case scenario I will
> > need to boot with the 2.0 kernel that came with the cube.
> >
> > I have the original disk for the Qube2 so it isn't a big problem if it
> > takes 50 attempts. I have a lot of patience ;-)
> >
> > Am I correct to assume that I need to use the install.i386.hd on my
> > workstation to install the mipsel packages on the second harddrive (hdd in
> > my case)
>
>No. It should be install.mipsel.nfs. install.mipsel.hd is for the
>native mipsel machine install.

Thank you, it worked :-)

> > Traceback (innermost, last):
> >   File "./findrpm", line 5, in ?
> >     import rpm
> > ImportError: No module named rpm
> >
> > Does this ring any bells?
>
>You need to install the rpm-python rpm.

And again, thank you.

>install.mipsel.nfs is used to create a NFS root tree for mipsel. If
>you tar it up, you get what you are asking for.

Will do once it works.
Everythinhg seems to be installed like it should and I copied the 2.0.34
cobalt kernel to /boot on the Qube2. I have enabled the serial console of
the Qube2 and see the firmware scroll along.

BOOTLOADER ramcode: selected partition /dev/hda1
Decompressing done
Executing bootloader kernel...
Jump_to_Real_Kernel: disk error, trying BFD again.
BOOTLOADER ramcode: selected partition /dev/hdc1

etc.. Qubes don't have the second IDE controller so this is nonsense ;-)
Does anybody know what's missing? Do I need to format the ext2 root fs in a
special way? Do I need to pass on other bootoptions and if so. How do I get
to a command line prompt of the firmware?
I see that the NetBSD people did that to make it boot another kernel.

I thought that the firmware from the Qubes just boot the vmlinux.gz image
that it finds in the /boot directory on hda1?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

--
Seth