Re: Newbie question...

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 04:07:45PM +0100, Mat Withers wrote:

> I'm also quite interested in mips linux - I've got an Indigo 2
> R4400SC with 128 Mb RAM sitting under my desk at home doing nothing.
> Is this a reasonable platform to run ? I understand that I would
> have to use a serial console at the moment - are there any plans to
> support a text console on the Indigo 2 gfx hardware (I don't really
> care about X). How easy is the install ?

As the FAQ states, this box should work fine.  Graphics hardware will
be supported when documentation is available or someone manages to
reverse-engineer it.  Perhaps you'd like to volunteer?

The install is a trivial matter for experienced hackers, an annoyance
to people who've never strayed outside the chartered bounds of
commercial Linux on peecees, and a source of unending pain and grief
for newbies.  Unfortunately it's getting easier all the time.

--
Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------