ksymoops changes for mips (was Kernel crash on boot with current cvs)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:05:51 +0200,
Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 09:34:18PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
>> Looks like I need to add a new option to ksymoops.  -T <bits>, truncate
>> all addresses to this bit size.  Added to my list for the next ksymoops
>> release.
>
>That can be done automatically.  For 32-bit ELF files mips*-linux binutils
>dump some of the addresses as 32-bit addresses, some as sign-extended (!)
>64-bit addresses.  So ksymops should just sign extend any 32-bit addresses
>to 64-bit and then work on full lenght addresses.

Some utilities extend with leading 0, some with leading 1, some with
special values (alpha).  It is safer to truncate everything to the
specified width instead of guessing what the extension value is.

>Is ksymoops able to handle 64-bit addresses when running on a 32-bit host?
>That is a common case for many people when decoding their MIPS oopses.

Yes and no.  The framework is there to handle 32/64 splits, sparc
already uses it.  mips does not currently use the framework because the
oops report does not identify the machine type 32/64, MSB/LSB.  We
discussed this in January and I asked for a small change to mips64 oops
output (below), was that ever done?

------