Re: ramdisk funkiness

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 17:11, you wrote:
> Do I simply need to compile my kernel with ext2 support enabled, or do I
> need to somehow create a ramdisk image with that type of a format?
Yes, you need ramdisk with filesystem on it.

>  If
> you don't mind, could you explain a little about how I can go about
> pointing the kernel at a ramdisk image, assuming I don't have LILO to
> help me out?
LILO doesn't matter here, problem is that you don't have filesystem at all.
What good is linux kernel, if it can't run any programs?

In short to create ramdisk with filesystem on it, create file of needed size,
use mke2fs to make filesystem on it, then use loopback device to mount it,
and put files in there. Once you've done it, look at ramdisk HOWTO for
instructions on where to put resulting image. Bootdisk HOWTO might
also be helpfull. And YES, you will need to put ramdisk in ROM (unnless
you can download it from network, in which case you don't need ramdisk anyways
- -- use NFS).

BTW, it doesn't really have to be ext2fs, it could be any other fs (like ROMFS or RAMFS)
You just need support for it comiled into your kernel.