Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET again (Re: newest kernel

"Maciej W. Rozycki" wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2001, Jun Sun wrote:
>
> > I think system V requires _test_and_set() being included in the libsys dynamic
> > library.  Does Linux want to be sysv compatible?  If so, we should removed the
> > inlined _test_and_set().
>
>  Why should we remove the inlined _test_and_set()?  We do have a number of
> other inlined functions in glibc, e.g. memcpy() and friends in
> <bits/string.h> (not for MIPS, actually, but for other hosts), yet it does
> not make glibc SVR4 incompatible.  Of course we always provide non-inlined
> versions of such functions as well -- check with objdump if unsure.

Hmm, I think to write SYSV compatible code one should not used inlined ABI
calls. Otherwise the binary would bypass libsys and becomes not portable among
SYSV machines.

On the other hand, what other MIPS SYSV platforms are there for us to be
compatible?  IRIX? :-)

>  Note they are *extern* inline.

I don't think "extern" changes the picture here because once the call is
inlined the code will bypass libsys - unless my previous understanding is
wrong.

Jun