Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET again (Re: newest kernel

Florian Lohoff wrote:

> My favourit would be to let the glibc on runtime decide whether
> to use sysmips or ll/sc in the atomic test_and_set stuff. This would
> lead to an common atom op in the userspace which is fast on ll/sc
> cpus and gives much lesser performance penaltys in the sysmips case
> than emulating ll/sc.

Do you have an idea how this run-time detection might be implemented?  I am
very curious.

For example, how will you figure out the existence of ll/sc instruction?  Is
that a test which is a part of every process startup procedure?  Or do you
introduce a new syscall?

Jun