Re: Configuration of PCI Video card on a BIOS-less board

Keith M Wesolowski wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 11:12:57AM -0700, Pete Popov wrote:
>
> > I'm not clear on how this works with the good driver. If you write to
> > 0xC000 0000, that's a mips virtual address in the kseg2 region, which is
> > a mapped region.  So what physical address you put on the bus when you
> > write to 0xC000 0000 depends on the tlb entry you've setup.  If 0xC000
> > 0000 is truly a PCI memory physical address, then you need to setup a
>
> Repeat after me until done: BAR values have nothing to do with CPU
> addresses.  If your PCI bus happens to map PCI memory location 0 onto
> physical address 0, then they are the same.  That's almost certainly
> not the case.  Otherwise, an address in a BAR is the *PCI bus
> address*, NOT a CPU physical address.

Keith,

What you said is right in theory.  However not correct in practice.

Most drivers read BAR address (in PCI memory space) and do ioremap() to get
(usually uncached) virtual address to access the PCI memory region.  On mips,
the default ioremap() essentially does 1 to 1 mapping from PCI meory space to
physical address space and then further maps it into KSEG1.

That pretty much mandates each MIPS port must maintain 1:1 mapping between the
PCI memory space and CPU physical space - unless you enjoy the fun of hacking
with PCI fixups.