Re: Passing kernel args

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Guido Guenther wrote:

> OSLoadOptions
> See
> http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/linux-mips/indy-boot/indy-hd-boot-micro-howto.html
> (at the bottom) for an example.

Ah thanks - that would have helped a lot if I'd seen that before :-)
However there are a couple of points which don't seem to have matched my
experience:

  1) Disk partitioning.  I had a disk that had Irix on, however my first
problem was that the volume header wasn't big enough for a Linux kernel.
You state that you can use x and then g in fdisk to create a new partition
table, however that only works if the disc is clean and doesn't already
have an Irix partition on it.  In my case since it already did have, x
just gave 'sorry there is no expert mode for SG partitions' (or something
similar).   Having wiped the disc clean with:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

for a few moments I could then do the x and g (thanks to someone on the
IRC channel for pointing the x, g thing out prior to you giving me that
document).

  2) OSLoadPartition - it seems to look at this a little late; i.e. if you
have an NFS Root kernel it ignores OSLoadPartition and still NFS roots -
so I needed to pass a root= option.

  2) OSLoadOptions - the kernel I have (a 2.4.0) gets a string which is:

      OSLoadOptions=whatEverYouSet

    So if you:

       setenv OSLoadOptions "root=/dev/sda1 ro"

    The kernel actually sees:
       OSLoadOptions=root=/dev/sda1 ro

    So I had to do:

       setenv OSLoadOptions " root=/dev/sda1 ro"

    Which works like a dream. (Note the trailing space after the first " )

It is also useful to point out that it is the partition(8) in the options
that corresponds to the /dev/sda9 in the fdisk output.

Thanks again,

Dave (Whose Indy, dino, now boots off its disc)

--
 ---------------- Have a happy GNU millennium! ----------------------
/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert      | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha, | Happy  \